Christmas. You know it’s coming. I know it’s coming. As much as we may want to hold it off, that desperate, happy, exhausting, gift giving time of year is absolutely, unavoidably here. So Poker Pilgrims would like to help you out by giving you suggestions for great gifts for the poker player in your life.
Disclosure: Some of the links on this page are affiliate links. However, we love all of the products and services listed here. We promise! For more information, see our Disclosure page.
- A book to curl up on a long winter’s night and brush up on their game. Which book, you ask? Here are some of our favorites:
For the Beginner: We love Phil Gordon’s Little Book series, starting with The Little Green Book: Lessons and Teachings in No Limit Texas Hold Em
For the Tournament Player: Arnold Snyder’s Poker Tournament Formula is a must read for any player who wants to get serious about tournament poker
For the Cash Player: Harrington gives some good solid advice in Cash Games (How to Win in No-Limit Hold ‘Em Money Games) Vol. I that still holds up today.
For the Experienced Player who wants to enhance their play: We love Peak Poker Performance by Dr. Patricia Cardner and Jonathan Little from D&B Poker which covers the mental and physical aspects of being ready to play your best game. If only we could do a better job of following their advice!
For anyone looking for a great poker read and crime story: James McManus’ Positively Fifth Street: Murderers, Cheetahs, and Binions World Series of Poker
- A set of beautiful and durable playing cards to enhance the home game: We love these Copag Cards and use them heavily at our own kitchen table
- A subscription to a poker training site to help them brush up their skills. We are admittedly biased here, as Advanced Poker Training pays us to do work (and blog) for their site. However, we can honestly tell you that their approach to training is the best that we’ve seen. Rather than just offering a series of videos and articles about how other people play poker, APT invites you to play your preferred game (tournament, cash, sit n go, whatever’s your poison). They then analyze your play and send out a weekly plan with practice exercises and advice about how to work on your leaks.
- A fun poker t shirt: There are a variety of t-shirts out there that can be found with a quick amazon search. However, we have created a few Ts for our own personal use, that you are welcome to gift to your loved one.
- If you’ve got real money to burn, every poker player’s secret dream is a buy in to The WSOP Main Event for a mere $10,000. If that is a bit out of reach, perhaps a buy in to a smaller event at a card room near you.
We hope that our list of great gifts for your favorite poker player has been helpful. I know that I would love to get any of the above (hint, hint Paul). If you have ideas for other good gifts that you have either given or gotten, be sure to let us know in the comments below!
Like this post? Head on over to the sidebar and subscribe. You will be alerted whenever a new Poker Pilgrims blog post goes live!